Unpacking the Boxes

Wednesday, November 26, 2014

A few weeks ago, I wrote about packing all of my things as the beginning of my journey towards minimalism. Now, you might be wondering how all of that went, since I haven't really mentioned anything about it since.

So today, I'm going to tell you.



Sooo... On Monday, November 3rd, my older sister and I packed all of our belongings into boxes. The idea was to only unpack things as we needed them, which would show us exactly what we were using versus what we thought we were using and as such, don't need.

Originally, I had planned to unpack after about a week. However, as I started to think about it more, I realized that it might make more sense to wait a bit longer so we would have a wider time-frame to work with.

So we voluntarily lived out of boxes for two weeks.

One might think that would be the worst thing in the world. To be perfectly honest, I didn't take much notice of it. Getting dressed was a little annoying, but it kind of dawned on me that maybe, if the shirt wasn't worth the effort of digging it out, than it wasn't worth keeping.

It's definitely been an eye-opening experience, and the end result (although we're still not done unpacking) has been quite a big pile of things to be gotten rid of.

Another result of this experiment has been that we actually rearranged some stuff that needed to be rearranged! Pretty cool, huh? For instance- the bookshelf. I've been meaning to figure out a better set up for our books... probably since we moved into the room. And now I really have!

So, here are some pictures of the progress that's happening in our room!
Before...

...After!


Before...
...After!
 And here's that bookshelf I'm so happy with!


Isn't it so pretty? I know we still have quite a bit of work to do, and it might not look like we've made much progress, but we have. We're taking it a little bit at a time, and eventually we'll get there.
___

What do you think about minimalism and The Packing Project? Would you consider it? I'd love to hear what you have to say! Leave your comment below, over at my Facebook page, or by emailing me at anastasiarosewrites@gmail.com!

You Might Also Like

2 comments

  1. You know, this is such a great idea for PARENTS too! What an easy way to figure out what toys your kids NEED verses just have lying around. I think I will try this after the Christmas craziness is behind us! Love your progress! You go girl! Not sure if I could do that for 2 weeks!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had a similar thought after traveling from Ohio to California and living out of a suitcase for over 3 weeks, but I guess I didn't follow up on my instinct and get rid of all the extra. We purged a lot before we moved and I guess I was done. Maybe I should go back and rethink that. I do like our new house, so much smaller, easier to clean and no messes hidden in the basement. Good luck on your move.

    ReplyDelete