In Everything Give Thanks

Tuesday, October 15, 2013

Give thanks to the needle that stuck your finger, to the wooden beam that hit your head, and to the bee that stung your hand, because they taught you something.” -Mehmet Murat ildan


Sometimes, things happen to us that we don't really like. Maybe your truck broke down. Maybe you got stuck at one more stop-light than you wanted to be. Maybe you're late for work. Maybe you didn't sleep well last night. Or maybe you're just having an all-around bad day. I definitely understand how you feel. I've been there.

Our whole family was sick a little while back. It started with just my little sister, and we thought it might be food-poisoning. But then my little brother and older sister got it, too. And then I got it. Then my mom and dad. In fact, the only people who didn't get sick were my Grandma and one of my younger sisters. (We're still not quite certain how that happened...)

Being sick was... well... it was pretty awful. I'll spare you the gory (and very "TMI") details, and simply say that you should be very thankful we didn't come over and give you this bug. I was down for about twelve hours, although I think I was only actively getting sick for the first six or something, and didn't feel like doing much for the whole day.

Recently, I've felt a little upset about stuff. Between feeling sick a lot, not being able to do the things I want to do because I've felt sick, not sleeping well, and Kharis visiting a college, I just haven't been super happy with life.

But I realized the other day that having that bug actually helped fix one of the problems I'd been having. While I was sick, my body's internal clock was reset back to normal. Before, it had somehow gotten a bit behind. Consequently, I would have difficulty sleeping at night and wake up much too late every morning. But while I was sick, I slept so much that I was actually able to get back on a normal  schedule pretty easily! (Well, normal for me, at least.)

And not an hour after realizing that, I saw this post on Facebook that I'm certain was a God-thing. It was a list of things that, while they might not have been ideal, all had something to be thankful for wrapped up in them. For instance, "I'm thankful my feet are sore from walking, because it means I'm strong enough to walk." I think that's just so cool! And so relevant to my week. So, I have decided to write my own little list of stuff like that. And you, my dear peeps, get to read it!

I am thankful that....

1. I got sick... because it helped me to sleep better at nights.

2. My sister is going off to college... because it means she is able to do something she feels God wants her to do.

3. I have Dysautonomia... because through it I have become so much more appreciative of the little moments in life.



 
There you go. It's not very long or extravagant, but those are probably the most major things in my life right now. Those are the things that I kept praying for God to just take away and fix. Then I realized that maybe God didn't want me to keep praying for Him to take them away. Maybe He wasn't going to miraculously fix them, although He certainly could. Maybe He was going to use these things to show me and everyone else just how cool He is. Maybe He is going to use these circumstances to show me that I just need to let go...

What about you? Are there things in your life that you keep praying for God to take away? Maybe He's going to use those things to show everyone just how amazing He is. So if you're struggling right now with something that just won't seem to go away, just hold on. God knows what He's doing, and He can take even your suffering and use it for His Glory...


You Might Also Like

0 comments