To My Mommy

Saturday, May 10, 2014

“The phrase ‘working mother’ is redundant.” -Jane Sellman



Dear Mommy,

Mother's Day is here, and I don't think even a novel could really cover everything I want to say. This year has been a crazy one, and has reminded me how thankful and blessed I am to be your daughter.

Mommy, you are awesome. Thank you for letting me call you Mommy, and not ma'am. Thank you for making me laugh when I'm feeling down. Thank you for making so many wonderful memories with me. Thank you for putting up with all the insane dance and theater schedules, and for pushing me to get over my fear so that I could do something you knew I would enjoy. But most of all, thank you for always being there.
     
You've been with me through every doctor's appointment and every doctor's bill. You've been with me when I was dancing on the stage, and when I was curled up on the couch feeling like I'd been run over by a truck. Through every popping joint, every upset stomach, every poke with a needle... You were there. 

No matter what I'm going through, I know that you're right beside me. You tell me that it's going to be OK. You make me laugh, but you also remind me that it's alright to cry sometimes. You remind me take my medicine and drink plenty of water, and you always forgive me when I forget something. Even when it was important! 

Mommy, you inspire me. I know that you don't always get the thanks and appreciation you deserve. (If you did, we would give you a paycheck!) You have one of the hardest jobs in the world- being a mom. But you keep on doing it. No matter how many times you threaten to run off and join the circus, you're still here. And you still love us. And you still care for us.

When I look at how much you have to deal with every day- sick kids, stinky diapers, whining, messiness, and a constant list of things to do- I am amazed. Amazed that you manage to not go completely insane. Amazed that you never give up. And amazed that you do it so well. 

Mommy, you have taught me so much over the years, and you continue to teach me each and every day. You teach me about life, and about happiness. You teach me what it means to be a mother, and to love unconditionally. You teach me that every gift is appreciated, no matter the price-tag attached to it. You teach me to be independent, even though I know you would love for me to always be little.

You have always encouraged me to do and be the best that I can, both in dance and in life. And yet you also remind me that sometimes, things happen. Sometimes we don't win. And that's OK. Because you've always loved me, and you always will. You have taught how to lose with grace, while still reminding me that to you, I'll always be a winner.
Mommy, if ever I am a mother, I hope I can be just a little bit like you. Thanks for being part of my life, and for being such an amazing mom. Words cannot contain how much I love you. Love is really more of an open door anyways, so I'll just leave it at that.

I love you, Mommy!

Thank you for not naming me phone!

You Might Also Like

0 comments