Invisible Illness Week: Just One... Pt. 3

Friday, September 12, 2014

"A friend is someone who knows all about you and still loves you." -Elbert Hubbard 

September 8th-14th is Invisible Illness Week (IIWk). Every year, the founders of IIWk choose a slogan that acts as a theme for the campaign. This year's theme is Just One. Because alone we are just one... but together, we are just one of over 100 million living with an invisible illness. You can find more Just One blog posts over at their website.

I have already written two Just One posts (HERE and HERE), but I decided I needed to do another one. So here is Just One reason my friends are the best people ever.
 Since I've gotten sick, one the most difficult things for me has been the way my illnesses have affected my ability to have fun. My extra-curricular activities, my hobbies, and even my outings with friends have all had to conform to this new lifestyle that being sick commands.

Sometimes I have to cancel plans. Sometimes I don't get to do every step in dance class. Sometimes I need to walk a little slower or take more breaks. I get hot and can't work as long, or my joints start acting up.

And when you live with chronic pain, it is so much easier to get distracted. You brain can only focus on so many things at once, and when pain is occupying too much space, something else is sacrificed. I tend to space out during conversations, or stop in the middle of a sentence. Sometimes I completely forget what I was trying to say, or have no idea what word I'm looking for.

I imagine I can be a hard person to be around. But no matter how difficult I am, my friends are there for me. 

They've been willing to slow down to my pace. They don't give me weird looks when I need to sit down. They're understanding when I forget what I meant to say, and do their best to help me out when I can't think of the right word.

Some people find that a lot of their friends don't care anymore, or don't have time for them, or just can't understand. But my friends have stuck around.

And that's just one reason my friends are the best in the world.

You Might Also Like

0 comments