Invisible Illness Week: Just One... Pt. 4

Sunday, September 14, 2014

"When 'I' is replaced by 'we', even illness becomes wellness." -Unknown

We are coming to the end of Invisible Illness Week, 2014. (IIWk)

I've already done several Just One posts this week (HERE, HERE, and HERE), but I figure one can never do too many. But before I get into the post itself, I would like to thank everyone who has supported me by sharing these posts. My Facebook posts have reached nearly 800 people this week, and it's all because of you guys. Thank you for all of the love and support!
 I had a hard time trying to decide what I would do for my last "official" IIWk post. It feels like one of the most important posts of the week, because this is what you'll be left with. This is it- the grand finale. The big finish.

When trying to come up with something that satisfied all that I want for my last post, I asked myself this question- if they could take away just one thing, what would I want it to be?

 It might seem like a hard question to answer, because there is so much I hope you learned from this week. But in reality, there is just one thing that is imperative that you know. It's just four simple words, yet they mean so much to those of use suffering from invisible illness.

You. Are. Not. Alone.

When you live with an invisible illness, it seems like you're the only one who "gets it". You feel completely isolated and cut off from the rest of the world. You can no longer do all of the things you want to. You're not the healthy, robust, energetic person you used to be.

But you need to know that there are others out there who understand. In fact, approximately 100 million people in the US alone are living with an invisible illness. Their diagnosis may not be exactly like yours, but they are living with some form of illness that no one else can see.

Alone, we are just one. But together, we are many. Together, we can make a difference. Together, can spread hope.

...

Here a few links to help you on your way.

Ehler's-Danlos National Foundation
 
National Fibromyalgia Association

ME/CFS Association

Molly's Fund (Lupus)


And you can find a more complete list of chronic illness Associations and Foundations HERE, courtesy of Invisible Illness Week.

You Might Also Like

0 comments