The Moments When It All Hits Home

Tuesday, February 17, 2015

There are those moments where everything you've been fighting for 

Finally hits home...




In order to truly grasp the crux of this blog post, there are two things you need to know.

First off, you need to know that in 2013, I raised $1,000 to fund the building of a well (as in, a thing containing water) in Asia. It was an incredible experience for me, and you can read more about it here, here, and here.

Secondly, you need to know that I am a nerd. A nerd who really, really likes to watch videos by the vlogbrothers. Some of you may know of them. Some of you may know them better as John Green (author of The Fault in Our Stars and other YA novels) and John Green's brother (whose name happens to be Hank).

At the end of last year, I made it my goal to watch every single vlogbrothers video ever made. Since they first began making vlogging in 2007, this is 8 years worth of video footage!!! (I'm currently in the 2011... Only four years left!)

Yesterday, I came upon a video in which Hank Green (that's John Green's brother, remember!) shared some footage from his trip to Haiti with the people at Water.org. He was visiting the location of a future Water.org well that was going to be built, and while he was in the village, he went with some of the people to the actual place they drew their water from.

Looking at their "spring" and hearing his reaction to seeing it in person, I was absolutely struck dumb in awe. Their drinking water came from nothing more than a glorified, muddy puddle.

While I was still raising money for "my well," I (quite obviously) talked a lot about what exactly I was raising money for. During those talks, I always made a special point to mention the fact that these people walk several miles every day to draw water from muddy, dirty, contaminated water sources, but this was the very first time I ever really "saw for myself" what it might actually look like.

And as I watched someone from a very similar walk of life as I am coming from (a white, middle-class American) experience for himself the reality of these people's lives, everything really just hit home for me...

This is what I was fighting so hard to change.

I think it's just so incredible that his experience four years ago helped me continue learning about my experience from one year ago... How amazing is that?!


 ...

What was one moment for you where something really hit home? Tell us your story in the comment section below, over at my Facebook page, or you can even email it to me at anastasiarosewrites[@]gmail[.]com! 

...

101 Things- Counting Down

I am still hard at work on my cranes, and I'm also hoping to write a letter to one of my heroes (#82) very soon!

You Might Also Like

0 comments