Mayhaps It's NOT (Entirely) The Government...

Friday, April 19, 2013

"Obviously this person's a hazard. Stupid people are dangerous." -Suzanne Collins, The Hunger Games

In light of recent events, I decided to sort of shift gears for a moment. My past two posts have been really playful and just plain silly, but this one's going to be a bit more serious.

I'm certain you've all heard about the explosions in Boston. It was an incredibly sad experience, and I wish it had never happened. I'm so grateful that I wasn't there, and I'm praying for all of those who were.

However, it seems to me that far too many people are blaming it on the government. OK, maybe blaming isn't the right word, but I have seen that people suggested the president should do more about it. That he should, I don't know, come up with the perfect solution to stop stuff like that from happening. One person said, "Enough is enough. How many more people have to die? How many more people have to get hurt for somebody (aka our very own president) to take action?

I'm not sure I really agree with that. Maybe it's not a lack of laws, government intervention, or 'heightened' security that's the problem. Maybe people are just stupid. And if people really are just stupid, (which I think we can all agree they are) then how much can the president really do about it? How much do you want him to do about it?

And think about this for a second- do you really want to live in a country where the police drive tanks around your neighborhood? Where they patrol the streets carrying machine guns? Where every single thing you do is controlled and limited by rules designed to keep certain stupid people from doing stupid stuff? (If it makes you feel better, I guess we should ban all the trashcans to keep people from doing stuff like hiding bombs in them.)

Honestly, I don't think any amount of new laws is going to fix the problem- it's too deeply rooted for that. Our country is messed up, and I certainly don't place much stock in presidents or governments to fix it. They aren't perfect either, and they don't have they certainly don't have the perfect solutions.

Maybe I'm wrong. I am, after all, just a silly 14 year-old, and I don't have much experience with running a country. (Or with fixing one.) I just think that instead of blaming our president, we should blame the stupidity and depravity of man. And instead of placing stock in our president or government and hoping they'll fix everything, we should watch and pray for the second coming of Christ.

I have way more faith in God than I do in man for the rebuilding of a world. Especially one as messed up as ours...

You Might Also Like

0 comments