Books Books, And More Books

Tuesday, May 21, 2013

"A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies. A man who never reads lives only one." -George R. R. Martin


I love to read, and I really do pity anyone who does not understand the full amazingness of a good book. For any of you out there who aren't readers- you are missing out.

Books are almost a necessity, and I don't understand how anyone would willingly live without them. I mean, how else do you escape from the everyday bore and stress? How else do you go a million different places without ever stepping foot on a plane? How else do you spend your time?

What do you do???? 

Alright, I suppose I'm quite finished with my little... uh, something. (I'm not even sure what that is.) I just don't understand the lack of interest in books that some people have. And I don't think I ever will.
You know, I was actually pondering something the other day- what is it that makes books so amazing? Now, any readers out there might be thinking, "Uh, EVERYTHING!!! What kind of question is that???" Just hold on a minute, and listen. Have you ever really thought about that in depth? Have you ever really contemplated what makes a good book good? What is is that makes you want to read something over and over? 

I think one of my favorite things in a book- and what makes a book not just excellent, but amazing- is when you can read the same book over and over, and get something different out of it every time. No matter what age you are, or where you are in life, there's something in this book for you. Some lesson, or truth- even in fiction.

So for me, probably the number one most amazing fictional book I've ever read, was The Chronicles of Narnia. If you've never read them, you should. C. S. Lewis was a spectacular writer, and pretty much anything by him is worth reading.

So, if any of you guys are readers, what do you think makes a book amazing? What quality do you look for in books?

You Might Also Like

1 comments

  1. I read mostly non-fiction these days but that is for several reasons. 1) I have to go to work and I have a family to take care of and unfortunately, once I start getting into the story I forget where I am and what I am supposed to be doing 2) I forget WHO I am and in my mind I become the main character. I once left my house on a routine trip to the grocery store and found myself looking for surveillance vehicles stalking me (I was reading a mystery) 3) There are books that I have invested many hours in only to be disappointed with a terrible ending. I feel cheated at that point and regret the time spent reading (gasp!)
    At least with non-fiction I can avoid those 3 issues and instead entertain (bore?) people to death with my in-depth explanation of how our brains work :)

    ReplyDelete