Birthday Contemplations...

Thursday, April 17, 2014

"Every year on your birthday, you get a chance to start new." -Sammy Hagar


I know I have said it before, but time is a very funny thing. Each day seems so long, but suddenly you look back and wonder where they all went. And as April 17th was approaching, I looked back and realized just what a crazy year I've had. Because you know what? We have reached a milestone.

Walk In the Rain With Me is officially

One year old!!!

Can you believe it? I can't. And yet, I can...

So much has happened since I wrote that very first blog post- The Product of My Boredom. My writing style has developed. My own personal views have developed. I'm 15 now.

When I first created Walk In the Rain With Me, it's name was based mostly upon my love of the rain, and the fact that people always act like you're going to catch the plague if you go out "in the cold, damp weather."

Since then, it has come to mean so much more to me. At the end of the summer, I was diagnosed with something called POTS- postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome. It's been a really rough journey, full of ups and downs. Sometimes it feels like mostly downs, but I have learned that there will always be an up coming along.

 A lot of people, when diagnosed with POTS, end up losing many good friends just when they needed them the most. Because they are unable to do things the same as before, people they care about end up drifting away from them. And it's so sad, because these people are in a place where they could use a lot of emotional support.

I, on the other hand, feel very blessed to have such an amazing group of friends. Despite how bad my health has been lately, in some ways, this past year has been one of the best years of my life. It's easy for me to forget sometimes just how many people care about me. I mean, I know I have friends, but it's not until something like this happens that I truly see how many people are actually interested in how I'm doing.

I have been able to see, first-hand, just how many people in my life are willing to "walk in the rain with me." And let me tell you, there are way more than I imagined! People I thought never even noticed I was there are asking how I've been, if I'm doing better, and just generally making me feel like I matter.

And it just makes me so happy!

If you know anything about me, you'll probably know that, when I'm happy, I like to make other people happy, too. In fact, my absolute favorite poem is one by Emily Dickinson that says,



If I can stop one heart from breaking,
I shall not live in vain;
If I can ease one life the aching,
Or cool one pain,
Or help one fainting robin
Unto his nest again,
I shall not live in vain.



That's pretty much my motto right there.

So, because I've been having such a happy week, I have decided that we need to do something special for our Birthday- something to share the happy. And what better way to put a smile on someone's face than to have a virtual party?!?!




Yay!!!





In honor of this momentous occasion, I have compiled a countdown of the top ten most viewed blog posts.


Top 10 Countdown




7. Revelation Moment- 51 views



4. Lost- 62 views


2. My Passion- 115 views

And now... the moment we've all been waiting for... The most viewed blog post of all Walk In the Rain With Me history is...

1. Dear POTS- With an astounding 188 views!


It's been a pretty wild ride this past twelve months, and I want to thank everyone for continually supporting me and my blog, and for reading all of my random ramblings. Whether you've been with me since the beginning, or only since last week, I appreciate you. I really do. And I'm looking forward to seeing what the next year brings.

You Might Also Like

0 comments